09 Jul Deep-Dish Apple Pie
This deep-dish take on an apple pie mixes two kinds of apples with brown sugar for a satisfying filling. The crust incorporates whole-wheat pastry flour for a slightly healthier take on the classic.
Serving Size: 10 | Cook Time: 4 hours
What You Need:
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled McIntosh apples (about 2 pounds)
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing
How To Do It:
- Toast the almonds using the following method: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place a sheet of foil over the top of a baking sheet. Spread the almonds in a single layer on top of the foil. Bake 5 to 10 minutes until almonds have browned just slightly (shift the almonds around halfway through cook time to toast evenly.) Set almonds out to cool while you start making the rest of the salad.
- Begin by turning on the grill to medium high heat. After 10 minutes, brush grill vigorously with wire brush to make sure racks are clean.
- Chop or grate garlic into small pieces and mix with the heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate for 30 min. The dressing will be finished in the bowl as we make the salad.
- Cut peaches into halves and remove pit and brush with olive oil. Put peaches on hot grill until slightly caramelized, (about 3-4 minutes) the peaches will release from the grill when they ready. Remove and put to the side.
- To finish the salad, season the lettuce with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, lightly brush with the cream. Lay on a tray, put peaches and cubed mozzarella over lettuce, sprinkle with toasted almonds, grate lemon zest over everything.
Make it Tonight!
Visit us online or in-store to get cooking today!Shop Online Find a Store