16 Mar Sweet on Strawberry Cake
Preheat your oven and prepare for a strawberry-whipped slice of wonderful.
- 3 oz. freeze-dried strawberries (approx. 4.5 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberry powder
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried strawberry, powder more if desired
- 6 large fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- Mint leaves
- Freeze-dried strawberries, finely chopped (optional)
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Pulse freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor until the powder is fine. Pass the powder through a fine mesh strainer.
- In a measuring cup, pour out 1/2 cup of powder for the cake batter and 6 Tbsp for the frosting (more if desired). Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉
- Grease and flour three 6″ cake rounds and line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup strawberry powder, baking powder, and salt. Sift to ensure it’s well combined and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy (approx 3 mins). Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, then add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour (3 additions of flour and 2 of milk). Combine fully after each addition.
- Bake for 35-40 mins.
- Let cakes cool on a wire rack for 20 mins.
Strawberry Mascarpone Buttercream:
- Beat butter until smooth then add mascarpone cheese. Combine until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar (1/2 cup at a time) then mix in vanilla and 1 Tbsp cream. Beat the mixture on med-high speed for 5 mins.
- Reduce speed to low and beat for 2 additional minutes.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Add approximately 1 cup of buttercream to the top and spread evenly.
- Top with a thin layer of sliced strawberries.
- Repeat steps one and two with remaining layer and apply a thin layer of frosting all over to crumb coat the cake. Chill for 20 mins.
- While cake is chilling, add 1/4 cup strawberry powder to the remaining frosting. Mix until combined.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake and smooth with an icing scraper.
- Using a small piping bag, pipe dollop ruffles onto the cake.
- Sprinkle chopped freeze-dried strawberries and garnish with thyme and mint leaves, if desired.
Recipe inspired by livforcake.com